Blogs I follow

Monday, July 1, 2013

Faux Real...


I started my design career in the early 80’s by way of furnishing vacation houses in Sunriver, Oregon.  Armed with just a passion for lovely interiors, I found my way through all the obstacles of design by making every mistake imaginable.  As I muddled through, I discovered a clear understanding of how to read plans, how to draft and most importantly, how to read people!  Don’t get me wrong, there were many early years of funky furniture packages but it forced me to learn how to put entire projects together and it developed my skills as a designer.

I had the opportunity to work with many interesting people but one in particular changed my life forever. MaryAnn Bauce and her husband Bill hired me to furnish the new home they were building in Sunriver.  When MaryAnn arrived in my studio for our first meeting she just about knocked me to the floor. She was stunningly beautiful, tall, blonde and charming beyond words.  However, what had the greatest impact was her leopard outfit.  She was quite something and I found myself in awe of her from the moment we started working together.  A born and raised Texan, she could tell stories like no other and I loved listening to all of her wonderful insights on style and design. She insisted that everyone should have something in animal print either in their home or on their body, no matter what.  Through the years our friendship has grown to be one of the greatest gifts in my life and I have a distinct love of animal print and her to this day.  She is unlike any other.
While out buying for the595project I came across an amazing faux leopard swing coat with the original Neiman Marcus label stitched into the lining, and it was in beautiful condition.  Knowing that part of my goal with my new business was to develop a vintage clothing inventory, I purchased this lovely gem as fast as I could. I knew that it would someday land with the right person who understood the divine impact of animal print;  it has never gone out of style and it never will.

Months later I interviewed Shelley Singer with Hot Box Betty for my “Spotlight on Style" segment.  As she was walking through the showroom, picking her favorite pieces she came across the Neiman Marcus faux leopard swing coat and fell in love with it immediately.  A picture of the coat was featured at the end of the article along with the other pieces she adored.  A short while after the article launched I received an email from Shelley’s dear friend saying that she wanted to buy her the coat as a surprise Christmas gift.  I was thrilled to be a part of making this happen and especially enjoyed having the pleasure of hearing about the friendship and love between these two women. It reminded me of MaryAnn and our journey together and how profoundly grateful I am for all the wisdom she has shared with me and all of her guidance regarding design, style, entertaining and how to love my family.

So as 2012 draws to a close, maybe a fun goal to have for the coming year is a little bit of animal print in your life. It can bring an unexpected charm and colorful impact to any room.  One never knows what kind of lovely story will develop, Faux Real!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment