Blogs I follow

Monday, July 1, 2013

Fashion and Painting...


 

 

The latest fashion…..is absolutely necessary for a painting. It’s what matters most.


E’douard Manet, 1881
 

There is an undeniable bond between people in the fashion world and the design world.   Clearly it stems from the appreciation of beautiful things, like the right color and the mixing of certain pieces, just so.  As well as pattern and scale and the application of their affect and the selection of what looks good on someone or what is impactful in a space.  Most importantly, there is always room for the unexpected and quirky surprise in fashion and in design that sets you apart from the rest!

This month (May 2013) for the First Friday event, Hot Box Betty asked me to hang a collection of paintings from the595project.  It proved to be a great canvas for the wide variety of images I have collected and they are nicely highlighted in this fashion forward store.  Mixed with seriously cool clothing, the paintings I selected for the art walk give a different perspective to the art scene.  Since midcentury and vintage is my thing, I sure had a great time incorporating my unique inventory of 1960’s and beyond works of art in to the store.  I’ve always loved mixing periods in art work and I agree that first and foremost with art, you have to buy what you like no matter the cost and mix it up with a wide variety of styles.  Kind of like fashion!!

I think now more than ever, design publications show us all how to successfully do the mix of periods, color and pattern.  It is so inspiring!  So take a risk and reconfigure what you have in your home and try a little vintage in the mix.  Draw insight from fashion by way of boutiques like Hot Box Betty.  They have it so right in the coolest way!

No comments:

Post a Comment