Blogs I follow

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Elegance is gone...

I am on a buying trip so my blog post for last week was delayed due to traveling. While on the road, I heard the news that the world lost one of the most elegant men in the fashion world.  Oscar de la Renta died at the age of 82 this past Monday.  In honor of him, I thought I'd re-post the story I wrote a few months ago.  I promise to get a new post out soon but in the mean time I hope you enjoy the experience I had with this lovely man. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted June 10th, 2014:

I've always loved flowers.  I’m forever creating arrangements from what I see outside and blending the natural greens and branches with whatever I have on hand that comes fresh from the market.  I look forward to the time when Peonies come in to season.  They are one of my all-time favorites.

Many years ago, I had the pleasure of working for Oscar de la Renta.  He was in Seattle Washington to personally introduce his collection for Spring at Fredrick and Nelson.  He graciously greeted every girl that would be walking the runway showing his beautiful pieces.  He shook everyone’s hand and introduced himself.  Slowly and thoughtfully he traveled down the line up of models.  The room where we met him had a huge flower arrangement of Peonies that was simply breathtaking.  It was quite something to see!  His charm made a big impression on me and I became a huge fan after that experience.  As a result, I started following him and his brand has developed into many other categories.  His life clearly is one filled with beautiful things.  Now, whenever I see Peonies, I think of him and the beautiful blossoms I saw that day. 

These following pictures are to pay homage to Mr. de la Renta and his sense of style and of course to the tender, fragile and delicate perfection of Peonies.   












Oscar de la Renta Peonies Dress



No comments:

Post a Comment