Blogs I follow

Friday, August 8, 2014

Herve...so much talent!

It seems as though I have decided that I must own a piece of furniture by Herve Van der Straeten.  I have found that in having a passion for design and for interesting collections by some of the most creative minds available today, you eventually will have to add a piece from this wildly gifted designer.  I was impressed to see that Mr. Van der Straeten started out as a jewelry designer and worked for YSL and Christian Lacroix.  I am sure in those early years where scale, proportion, beauty and being supremely modern were of the utmost of importance, the end result must have impacted his furniture and lighting design that he is so famous for today.  You must remember that he was ultimately designing jewelry for women, very finicky customers indeed!

He was born in 1965 and initially he studied engineering at Ecole des Beaux-Arts.  After his years of jewelry designing, he opened his own workshop in Paris.  Known today for his dedication to quality and the artful blend of materials, he keeps a careful eye on the production by staying intimately involved in the design fabrication.  I love that he feels he can put his beautiful signature on his furniture and lighting only if he can see and touch his work personally.  He doesn't take his designs out to other manufacturing houses…he wants to see his team work and he give his hand to it in his own workshop.

I found a Q&A that I thought was lovely on Huffington Post.  I hope you enjoy his philosophy on life and his glimpse into his past.  

Here you go:

There are many sources to buy his jewelry and furniture.  Of course 1stdibs has all his work available and Neiman Marcus carries his jewelry.  I like the presentation that Maison Gerard in New York does with Herve Van der Straeten work.  I think you will too! 



Herve Van der Straeten



















No comments:

Post a Comment